The more time spent driving, the more chances there are that you will need to deal with road rage. Whether you experience road rage out of your own anger or frustration, or from other drivers displaying it, it’s important to keep your feelings in check and know how to handle the actions of other drivers as best you can.
Tips for Avoiding Road Rage
• Get Plenty of Sleep - If you’re not getting the right amount of sleep, you will become more irritable and be set off by other drivers much more easily. When you’re well-rested, you’ll find it much easier to ignore small annoyances that may have otherwise led to a road rage situation.
• Eat Properly - Often times, iIf you’re finding yourself in a bad mood, there’s a good chance it’s because you’re hungry. Hunger has a direct negative impact on our mood. For this reason, it’s critical to make sure you are eating frequently enough and getting the right amount of food each time you eat while on the road. Just like with being well-rested, being well-fed will help you to stay calm when faced with irritating situations while driving.
• Let it Go - While it’s difficult, work hard to not take the actions of other drivers personally. If someone cuts you off or doesn’t practice courteous driving, don’t take it as a direct offense against you - it most likely wasn’t. Take a breath and remain calm. It isn’t worth escalating a small problem into a potentially tragic situation.
• Practice Courteous Driving - Avoid aggressive driving habits and observe the rules of the road yourself. When you are courteous to other drivers, it will reduce the likelihood of your actions triggering road rage in them.
• Have a Positive Focus - Don’t focus on the awful traffic and the crazy drivers around you. Instead, think about what you’re going to do when you are done driving for the day, whether it be spending time with your family, exercising, or just relaxing. Or, you can focus on the music playing in your truck and sing along to get your mind off the current road situation that is out of your control.
Follow the tips above to stay safe on the road and avoid accidents and other incidents caused by road rage.